Product of the Week – The Great Basin Saddlebag
A trusted staple in the Giant Loop line up, the Great Basin Saddlebag is the largest in our “loop bag” collection.
We have outfitted an assortment of motorcycles with the Great Basin, and it’s currently on the backs of motorcycles around the globe. In the montage above you’ll find the Great Basin Saddlebag easily mounted on a the Honda CRF250L, Rally Raid CB500X, and Africa Twin, the KTM 1190 Adventure R, the Yamaha WR250, the KLR 650 retrofitted with a sidecar, the Suzuki tu250x, a Yamaha R6 and something random in Nepal….just to name a few.
This bag will carry all that you require for a serious expedition or comfortably carry your weekend provisions.
What we love most about the Great Basin Saddlebag is it’s verstility. This bag, rides rackless, behind the rider where the passenger would sit. The “legs” of the bag affix to the passenger foot pegs or other solid mounting point in the same area and anchors at the rear of the bike via three straps on on an existing rear rack or integrated mounting point. The is bag is 68L in capacity and is sold with three waterproof dry pods which organize gear within the bag plus make it easy to haul things to your camp spot without removing the whole loop bag. A Hot Springs Heat Shield is also included with every bag to keep the Great Basin off the pipe.
The outer material is constructed of tough 22 oz. vinyl coated polyester reinforced with ballistic nylon and, like many of our bags the Great Basin has loops added to the sides of the bag that make it easy to add Possibles Pouches or just affix items with Pronghorn Straps. The “beavertail” cinch straps can be extend to allow for a Tillamook or Rogue Dry Bag if extra capacity is required.
While Supplies last all black and white Great Basin Zippered Saddlebags ON SALE for 30% off!
The new Great Basin Roll Top was featured in the most recent version of UpShift magazine. If you haven’t checked it out this new adventure moto e-zine take a look and subscribe! Stunning photography, cohesive gear reviews and interesting world travel stories.
Thanks, Upshift for the great review.
Our new roll top version of the tried and true Great Basin is getting a ton of positive feedback. The bag is now easier to pack without wrestling zippers and is even more weathertight than ever. Each bag comes equipped with three seam-welded saddlebag dry pods, equipped with air purge valves for ease of packing.
“The Giant Loop Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top has proven to be a fully dependable means of securely hauling gear during even the most adventurous outings. The materials, design and functionality provide confidence that vital gear will arrive undamaged, no matter the conditions, successfully fulfilling the company’s mantra: “go light, go fast, go far.”
The July issue of UpShift also features a great piece on local guide company High Desert Adventures and some choice shots of riding around Prineville and Bend.
NEW 2017 GREAT BASIN SADDLEBAG ROLL TOP IS HERE!
SAME PRICE: USA MSRP $450 WITH ALL INCLUDED COMPONENTS (set of 3 waterproof inner liner Saddlebag Dry Pods with air purge valves, Hot Springs Heat Shield kit)!
HIGHLIGHTS: More packable volume (68 liters with three full rolls to seal top), convenient roll-top closure, custom Giant Loop branded grab handles/compression straps, updated graphics, lock cable pass-through, lash loops for adding waterproof Possibles Pouches to back, side or front of Saddlebag legs — no additional racks, mounts or braces required!
UNIVERSAL FIT: Carry your gear where the passenger would sit on your motorcycle – the remarkably versatile Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top fits virtually any motorcycle designed to carry a passenger. Anchors to passenger footrest brackets and mounts on pillion seat of sport and sport touring bikes, standards, scramblers, nakeds and adventure touring and dual sport motorcycles.
2017 NIFTY 50 BEST NEW PRODUCTS – POWERSPORTS BUSINESS!
NEW 2017! Introducing the Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top, a fresh update of the original biomorphic, horseshoe-shaped Saddlebag design that Giant Loop pioneered in 2009. The Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top features a convenient rolling closure that seals out water and dust while maintaining all the unique “go light, go fast, go far” features of our zipper closure Great Basin Saddlebag.
Other enhancements include a greater range of compression and expandability (68 liters with one roll to seal out dust), sewn-on molded rubber badges, Giant Loop branded grab handles that double as side compression straps, a set of 3 RF-welded waterproof inner liner Saddlebag Dry Pods with air purge valves, and drains in the bottoms of the Saddlebag’s “legs” that allow water to escape if it manages to penetrate the highly water resistant out shell (yea, we understand – we’ve dunked our bikes in streams crossings, too!). Made in USA. Backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty against defects.
“The best hard-core saddlebag and tank-bag solution we’ve found is from Giant Loop…. There are cheaper solutions to carrying stuff, but these American-made pieces have been over mountains and across deserts with no issues.” — Cycle World Magazine
The Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top delivers everything needed to mount up hit the road:
- 68+ liters of packable volume (68 liters with three full waterproof rolls, more with one roll to seal out dust)
- Set of 3 RF welded waterproof inner liner Saddlebag Dry Pods with air release valves included
- Side compression straps with custom Giant Loop molded rubber grab handles
- Super tough, highly water resistant vinyl tarp outer shell reinforced with ballistic nylon
- Beavertail and cinch ring with side-release buckled compression straps that integrate with double-end Rogue Dry Bag and Tillamook Dry Bag (available separately), as well as the single-ended feature rich Torngat Tunnel Bag
- Lash loops to attach Possible Pouch external pockets to back, side or front of Saddlebag “legs”
- Separate mounting and compression straps for easy gear access
- Reinforced Roll Top closure
- Cable lock pass-though to secure bag to bike while parked. Optional: QuickLoop Cables + OnGuard Padlock available here.
- Reflective accents for visibility
- 1 Hot Springs Heat Shield (laser-cut aluminum + stainless steel clamp) included
- Military-spec materials and construction
- Limited Lifetime Warranty against defects
- Made in U.S.A.
Compare to the original Great Basin Saddlebag.
Expand the Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top with Giant Loop’s adventure proof packing system:
- Choose a Combination option for enhanced storage and accessibility by adding a color-matched Fandango Pro Tank Bag, a feature rich Torngat Tunnel Bag, double-ended Tillamook Dry Bag and new waterproof roll-top Possibles Pouches.
- Add a pair of stainless steel Giant Loop Mounts to help keep anchor straps away from hot exhaust.
- Create quick anchors on the tail of the motorcycle with our Footmans Loop Anchor Kit.
- Complete your kit with a slim Giant Loop Tank Bag that provides quick gear storage but stays out of the way when riding hard standing on the pegs.
• Weight: 6 lbs with all included components
• Dimensions (fully packed):
56″ – bottom of pannier, across top to bottom of other pannier bucket
Basically the same as before, with a little more “doming” on top due to increased “front to back” distance.
10″ – height of bag in top center
Again, the difference here is mostly a result of the “front to back” measurement below allowing the top to arc more when stuffed full.
6″ – distance from inside to outside of pannier bucket bottom
This dimension didn’t change – I think this is simply a more accurate measurement taken at very bottom of the “leg.”
14″ – front to back in top center
This is where/why we picked up an additional 10 liters of volume (60 vs. 50), by adding nearly 2″ in this plane. No change in the way the bag mounts or rides, just a bit roomier for sleeping bags and other lightweight, bulky gear in the top.
• Outer shell: 22 oz. vinyl coated polyester reinforced with ballistic nylon
• Military-spec fasteners
• Custom-woven ballistic webbing on lower anchor straps
• Nylike webbing compression straps
GREAT BASIN SADDLEBAG FITS VIRTUALLY ANY MOTORCYCLE DESIGNED TO CARRRY A PASSENGER, INCLUDING THESE MOTORCYCLE MAKES & MODELS
• BMW: GS models, etc.
• Ducati: Multistrada, Monster, etc.
• KTM: Adventure models, 690 (w/passenger pegs), etc.
• Honda: Rally Raid Honda CB500X Adventure, Africa Twin, CRF250L, XR650L (w/passenger pegs), TransAlp, etc.
• Suzuki: V-Strom, DR650, etc.
• Triumph: Tiger, Explorer, etc.
• Yamaha: Super Tenere, WR250, etc. (w/passenger pegs)
• Kawasaki: KLR 650, Versys, Ninja, etc.
• AND JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER BIKE DESIGNED TO CARRY A PASSENGER.
How to Pack a Small Motorcycle for BIG Adventure: Globe Crosser Steph Jeavons + Rhonda the Honda CRF250
“Oh my goodness! All packed up. Its been so long I nearly forgot how to do it! Time to move on again!” – Steph Jeavons, One Steph Beyond
Nearly a year ago, Giant Loop hosted world traveler Steph Jeavons here in Bend, Oregon for an evening slideshow of her travels on Rhonda the Honda CRF250L. While she was here we had the opportunity to upgrade her luggage and gear for another round of travel. Packing all of the essentials for months of living off a motorcycle presents challenges – especially with a relatively small bike like the Honda CRF250L. Small bikes are a specialty here at Giant Loop, and by using our modular, customizable adventure proof packing system, we were able to help Steph organize her gear into multiple small compartments, providing quick, easy access – and helping balance the load on both the front and rear of the bike.
Here’s how Steph Jeavons packs her Honda CRF250L the “go light, go fast, go far” Giant Loop way:
TAIL OF HONDA CRF250L
* Great Basin Saddlebag: Fits virtually any motorcycle built to carry a passenger, anchoring to the passenger pegs and riding on the passenger seat.
* 2 x Possibles Pouches: Tool, tubes and other gear kept handy with external pockets designed to integrate with Giant Loop’s Great Basin, Coyote and MoJavi Saddlebags – and used independently as universal tool and gear pouches.
* Columbia Dry Bag: A large bag for a small bike, but Giant Loop’s double-ended Dry Bags come in three sizes for all bike types and packing options.
FRONT OF HONDA CRF250L
* Fandango Pro Tank Bag: Roomy enough for cameras and essential gear, trim enough for off-road riding while standing on the foot pegs.
* Pannier Pockets: Integrate with Giant Loop’s Tank Bag Harness – and can be used independently – to extend gear carry capacity to the front of the bike.
* Fender Bag: A spare tube or other relatively small, lightweight essential strap onto the plastic fenders of most dirt bikes – and Giant Loop’s Fender Bag stays on, even in the roughest riding.
Possibles Pouch – NEW 2017 DESIGN! SHIPS MARCH 1, 2017 — AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER NOW!
UPDATED FOR 2017! The NEW roll top Possibles Pouch™ is now RF-welded, 100% waterproof, dustproof, mudproof, snowproof and a roomy 3-liters in volume — enough capacity for a full set of tire irons, a spare tube, 2-liter fuel canister or anything else riders need to secure any vehicle for adventure – motorcycle, snowmobile, snow bike (Timbersled, MotoTrax, etc.), ATV, UTV, 4×4, boat or SUP.
Giant Loop’s super rugged, universal gear pocket, the Possibles Pouch™ adds easy access storage capacity to Giant Loop’s Saddlebags and Panniers, as well as anchoring to engine guards, crash bars, tail racks — and any other secure attachment point on virtually any motorcycle make or model. Includes 2 heavy-duty webbing and thumb-lock buckle straps, and webbing daisy chain loops to provide many options for securely attaching the Possibles Pouch.
Available as Possibles Pouch only or in combination with our stretch polyurethane Pronghorn Straps, which increase the attachment options for a variety of bikes.
Named for the leather pouches carried by frontier explorers to keep critical gear, or “possibles,” in one handy location. The Possibles Pouch is perfect for the many relatively small, lightweight motorcycling essentials: 21″ front inner tube, snacks, beverages, gloves and tools.
Add the Traveler Shoulder Strap to make a handy shoulder bag for off-bike adventures.
The Giant Loop Possibles Pouch also can used in conjunction with Giant Loop’s MoJavi Saddlebag, mounting in top center position.
SPECS & FEATURES
- Volume: 3 liters
- Dimensions: 10.5″ x 5.5″ x 3″
- Includes 2 heavy duty webbing and thumb-lock buckle straps
- Multiple daisy chain webbing lash points
- 500D PVC tarpaulin body
- Roll-top closure with side release buckles
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
Giant Loop Rider: World Traveler Steph Jeavons on Honda CRF250L with Great Basin Saddlebag, Fandango Pro Tank Bag and Adventure Proof Motorcycle Soft Luggage
Message from Steph Jeavons: “Still loving the Giant Loop luggage😀”
Steph Jeavons has taken her Honda CRF250L further than any 250cc has been before, so far having ridden to 40 countries and covered over 55,000 miles! In March, we hosted her slide show presentation and her bike Rhonda here in Bend, Oregon. While she was here, Giant Loop had the opportunity to lighten her motorcycle and upgrade Rhonda the Honda CRF250L with our waterproof, adventure proof motorcycle soft luggage packing system: Great Basin Saddlebag, Tillamook Dry Bag, Fandango Pro Tank Bag, Possibles Pouches, Pannier Pockets and Pronghorn Straps. Go light! Go fast! Go Far!
From her website and blog:
Steph Jeavons set off from the Ace Cafe in 2014 to circumnavigate the world. She is still going, and apparently, happily lost!
Steph has been around motorbikes most of her life with both parents and one of her two sisters riding as well. Her grandmother even rode bikes during the war! Steph herself has been riding since the age of 21. I think you can safely say it’s in the blood. In 2008 she set up her own off-road motorcycle school in the UK as well as desert tours in Morocco alongside the British Dakar rider Mick Extance.
Steph has ridden across the Atlas mountains and in the Sahara five times. She has crossed the US coast-to-coast four times, got muddy in Wales with names like John McGuinness and, just once, nearly punched Carl Fogarty in the face! Steph also worked with Nick Sanders setting up his expedition centre in Machynlleth.
She left all this excitement behind to pursue her dream of riding her motorcycle to all seven continents – solo!
‘I’m certainly no expert and I don’t confess to being a demon on two wheels. This adventure isn’t about speed. It’s not really even about the bike. It’s about living, learning and enjoying! Doing this trip solo on a bike just opens up all the senses and allows me to be part of my environment.’
Steph has taken her Honda CRF250L further than any 250cc has been before, so far having ridden to 40 countries and covered over 55,000 miles! Steph has survived extreme heat, freezing conditions, landslides and wind that blew her off her bike in Patagonia. She has camped, couch-surfed and stayed with fellow bikers along the way whilst avoiding the main roads and sticking to the dirt where possible. She touched down and rode her motorbike on Antarctica in February 2015 after successfully crossing the notoriously rough Drake Passage in a small sailing yacht.
Steph has given inspirational talks to motorcycle shows, groups and communities along the way. She also currently writes for Ride Magazine and ADV Moto as she continues her journey around the world on her little dirt bike named Rhonda.
Giant Loop’s Great Basin Saddlebag available in Black, Orange, Gray, White and Yellow. Fits virtually any motorcycle designed to carry a passenger, mounted securely to the seat and footpeg mounts. 60 liters. Waterproof. Includes Hot Springs Heat Shield and set of three RF-welded inner liner Dry Pods with air purge valves. Made in USA. Limited lifetime warranty. Use this coupon code for free USA shipping: glship
#golightgofastgofar #motorcyclegear #holidayshopping #madeinusa #inbend
Honda Africa Twin with Fandango Pro Tank and Great Basin Saddlebag
When Rox Speed FX owner Chris took his new Honda Africa Twin for an adventure motorcycle tour this past summer, he chose Giant Loop’s Fandango Pro Tank Bag and Great Basin Saddlebag for his trip – and he sent us some great pics! You’ll notice that the large passenger handles on the Honda Africa Twin create a space between the pillion seat and the bottom or the Great Basin Saddlebag – a perfect spot to stow away an extra layer or additional riding gear.
GL Rider David Darcy Recaps His “Giant Loop Experience” After Multiple International Motorcycle Adventures Since 2012
PIC 1: Over looking a valley in Kyrgyzstan with some of the best adventure riding in the world before us. My Giant Loop soft luggage set up for the London to Sydney ride; a Fandango Tank Bag, Great Basin Saddle Bag, and a couple of dry bags.
PIC 3: My rented Bajaj 220 cc loaded and ready for adventure in the Himalayas, Kashmir, India. Giant Loop Pro Tank Bag, Columbia Dry Bag. Proghorn straps reliably fixed my Columbia Tank Bag. My GL tracker packer housing my SPOT tracker is also in view, a handy reliable holder for a very important piece of equipment.
NEW! Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top and Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top
NEW PRODUCTS: Giant Loop Redesigns Pioneering Horseshoe Shaped Motorcycle Saddlebags
Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top and Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top Feature Zipperless Closures and Rider-Driven Updates
(BEND, OREGON USA) Adventure proof packing and gear systems innovator Giant Loop redesigned its pioneering horseshoe-shaped motorcycle saddlebags, producing a limited preview release of the new Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top and Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top. Both models of Roll Top Saddlebags feature a convenient rolling closure that seals out water and dust while maintaining the packable volume and all the unique “go light, go fast, go far” features of their zipper closure counterparts, the original Great Basin Saddlebag and Coyote Saddlebag – super rugged, stable, lightweight, rackless mounting, gear positioned tight to center of bike.
Other enhancements include molded rubber grab handles that double as side compression straps, an included set of 3 RF-welded waterproof inner liner Saddlebag Dry Pods with air purge valves, and drains in the bottoms of the Saddlebag’s “legs” that allow water to escape if it manages to penetrate the highly water resistant out shell (yes, we’ve dunked our bikes in streams crossings, too).
This limited production preview release comes in black only, and the Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top and Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top are available exclusively at Giant Loop’s showroom/warehouse in Bend, Oregon and online at GiantLoopMoto.com until the full production release in 2017. Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top retails for $450 (including set of 3 waterproof Saddlebag Dry Pods and 1 Hot Springs Heat Shield exhaust protector). Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top retails for $360 (including set of 3 waterproof Saddlebag Dry Pods and 1 Hot Springs Heat Shield exhaust protector).
Introducing the Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top
Introducing the Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top, a fresh update of the original biomorphic, horseshoe-shaped Saddlebag design that Giant Loop pioneered in 2009. The Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top enables riders to carry your gear where the passenger would sit on the motorcycle, making this remarkably versatile motortcycle soft luggage solution fit virtually any motorcycle designed to carry a passenger. Cordura Ballistic webbing anchors secure the Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top to the passenger footrest brackets, so it mounts on the pillion seat of sport and sport touring bikes, standards, nakeds and adventure touring and dual sport motorcycles.
The Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top delivers everything needed to mount up hit the road:
• 45-60 liters of packable volume (45 liters with three full waterproof rolls, up to 60 liters with one roll to seal out dust)
• Set of 3 RF welded waterproof inner liner Saddlebag Dry Pods with air release valves included
• 1 Hot Springs Heat Shield (laser-cut aluminum + stainless steel clamp) included
• Side compression straps with molded rubber grab handles
• Super tough, highly water resistant vinyl tarp outer shell reinforced with ballistic nylon
• Beavertail and cinch ring with side-release buckled compression straps that integrate with double-end Rogue Dry Bag and Tillamook Dry Bag (available separately)
• Lash loops to attach Possible Pouch external pockets
• Multiple rear anchor straps for maximum versatility – secure one, two or all three to solid mount points
• Separate mounting and compression straps for easier gear access
• Reinforced Roll Top closure
• Cable lock pass-through to secure bag to bike while parked (with optional 84” QuickLoop Cable)
• Reflective accents for visibility
• Military-spec materials and construction
• Limited Lifetime Warranty against defects
• Made in U.S.A.
• Currently available in Black only.
Introducing the Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top
Introducing the Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top, a fresh update of Giant Loop’s original flagship horseshoe-shaped dual sport and enduro Giant Loop Saddlebag design that launched the company in 2008. The Coyote Saddle Bag Roll Top is the new choice for hardcore off-road expeditions, wrapping gear weight around the motorcycle’s subframe, exactly where it impacts handling the least. Riders can carry gear for overnight or multi-day trips and still have access to the entire saddle for rigorous off-road riding. The Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top mounts to the rear fender and/or tail rack of virtually any dirt bike, dual sport or enduro motorcycle (no passenger pegs required). Cordura Ballistic webbing straps anchor the Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top to the frame or subframe on most motorcycle makes/models — as well as snow bikes, such as Timbersled and MotoTrax.
Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top delivers everything needed to mount up hit the trail:
• 39 liters packable volume
• 1 Hot Springs Heat Shield (laser-cut aluminum) + stainless steel clamp included
• Set of 3 RF welded waterproof inner liner Saddlebag Dry Pods with air release valves included
• Rear mounting options — use included fender hooks OR included webbing anchor strap to fit virtually any bike or tail rack
• Stabilize gear load using side compression straps with molded rubber grab handles
• Attach additional gear using beavertail and cinch ring with side-release buckled compression straps that integrate with double-end Rogue Dry Bag and Tillamook Dry Bag (available separately)
• Lash loops to attach Possible Pouch external pockets
• Reflective accents for better visibility
• Military-spec materials and construction
• Limited Lifetime Warranty
• Made in U.S.A.
• Currently available in Black only.
Limited production preview release Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top and Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top are available exclusively at Giant Loop’s showroom/warehouse in Bend, Oregon, and online at www.giantloopmoto.com. Giant Loop’s adventure proof motorcycle, snowmobile, snow bike, ATV, UTV, SxS, 4×4 and outdoor packing and gear systems are available from powersports dealers across the USA via Tucker Rocky Distributing, as well as from international distributors around the world. Giant Loop is a rider-owned company that designs and tests products in Bend, Oregon. For all the details, go to www.giantloopmoto.com or www.giantloopsnow.com.
NEW MOTORCYCLE PRODUCT: Giant Loop Saddlebag Dry Pods Upgrade Waterproof Motorcycle Luggage
Giant Loop has introduced new Saddlebag Dry Pods, waterproof inner liner bags designed to fit the interior spaces of the company’s Great Basin Saddlebag and Coyote Saddlebag, keeping gear dry and organized. Sold as a set of three, Saddlebag Dry Pods also add waterproof organization and storage to any panniers, saddlebags, duffels, dry bags or backpacks. Saddlebag Dry Pods are constructed of high visibility yellow TPU with RF welded seams and roll-top closures, and they feature air purge valves to help compress gear for easy sealing and packing.
Saddlebag Dry Pods are now included with Giant Loop’s Great Basin Saddlebag and Coyote Saddlebag – and the new Great Basin Saddlebag Roll Top and Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top – enabling riders to leave their Saddlebags mounted and carry gear to a campsite or hotel. They are available separately as an upgrade for any previous version of these pioneering horseshoe-shaped motorcycle saddlebag designs, in production since 2009.
TIPS: Fill Giant Loop’s Saddlebag Dry Pods with ice and a favorite beverage at the end of a day’s adventure. Saddlebag Dry Pods also can be used on their own for boating, a day at the beach or anywhere high-quality waterproof dry storage is needed.
Each Saddlebag Dry Pods set includes two side Pods shaped to fit the lower “legs” of the Great Basin Saddlebag and Coyote Saddlebag and one double-ended center Pod. Like all Giant Loop products, Saddlebag Dry Pods are backed by a limited lifetime warranty against defects for the original purchaser. USA MSRP is $75 (part number SDP16).
Saddlebag Dry Pods are available at Giant Loop’s showroom/warehouse in Bend, Oregon, and online at www.giantloopmoto.com. Giant Loop’s adventure proof motorcycle, snowmobile, snow bike, ATV, UTV, SxS, 4×4 and outdoor packing and gear systems are available from powersports dealers across the USA via Tucker Rocky Distributing, as well as from international distributors around the world. Giant Loop is a rider-owned company that designs and tests products in Bend, Oregon.
Giant Loop’s Motorcycle Soft Luggage & Gear On Honda Africa Twin
Finally getting the opportunity to do some fitting on the new Honda Africa Twin. This customer rode over the Cascades from Oregon’s Willamette Valley to our shop in Bend to test fit and outfit his sweet silver Honda Africa Twin.
Giant Loop’s Kiger Tank Bag, Fandango Pro Tank Bag and Diablo Pro Tank Bag all fit the Honda Africa Twin great (GL’s motorcycle tank bags use the same harness and mount up identically). This rider went with the Fandango Pro Tank Bag, our trim mid-size dual sport and adventure touring motorcycle Tank Bag, which includes a waterproof RF welded inner liner Dry Pod, integrated electronics pass-through, mesh exterior pocket and concealed document pocket. And like all of our Tank Bags, the Honda Africa Twin’s fuel fill is easily accessed by unzipping one side of the Tank Bag from the harness.
We also test fit Giant Loop’s Siskiyou Panniers, Great Basin Saddlebag and Coyote Saddlebag – all workable options. This rider has Touratech luggage racks on order, so he chose our new rack-mounted Round The World Panniers with 18mm Happy Trails Pannier Mounting Kit hardware.
GL’s Tillamook Dry Bag – the mid-size option in our line of three double-ended RF welded Dry Bags, the Rogue Dry Bag (17 liters), Tillamook Dry Bag (38 liters) and Columbia Dry Bag (70 liters) – and our Zigzag Handlebar Bag completes his adventure proof packing system. Add some Pronghorn Straps to keep everything tight and tidy.
Maintaining & Cleaning Zippers on the Giant Loop Motorcycle Soft Luggage
Email from customer: “Hi, love my Coyote Saddlebag mounted on the KTM 500 EXC, but the downside to every trip I struggle with the zipper. Man I get pissed. Am I missing something? Any way to make it operate easier? Thanks, Cal”
Dang, sorry to hear your zipper is giving you fits. Keeping zippers clean and lubricate – and treating them with respect by not yanking or forcing zippers will keep them sliding smoothly and prevent you from bursting a blood vessel.
Some things to try:
- Clean the zippers. Dirt and dust particles are usually the biggest challenges for zippers – just like the moving parts of your motorcycle engine. For the trail, pack some of our Zip Care™ Zipper Cleaner & Lubricant. When you’re trip is over, wash all of your Giant Loop motorcycle soft luggage using warm, soapy water, give it good rinse and let it air dry.
- Lubricate the zippers. Use our Zip Care™ Zipper Cleaner & Lubricant. And in a pinch, a little soap, wax or even lip balm will help. Burt’s Bee’s Beeswax Lip Balm works great and is available at any drug store or grocery store.
- Manage the zippers. When you get into your Giant Loop Saddlebag, first roll the storm flap back out of the way, then roll the flap back over the zipper to keep it protected after you close the bag. Un-zip Possibles Pouches, Pannier Pockets and Tank Bag lids completely when accessing gear to avoid damaging zipper teeth.
- Respect the zippers. Avoid over packing. When your Giant Loop adventure proof packing systems are not stuffed drum tight, the zippers are much easier to manage. Consider using our Possibles Pouches, to add external pockets, or a Dry Bag to expand your Giant Loop Saddlebag or Panniers. Add the Pannier Pockets to Giant Loop’s Tank Bags. Compartmentalizing gear makes it easier to access the things you need during the day of riding and helps prevent the zippers from buckling from being tightly stuffed. Hold zipper halves together as you zip to prevent stressing the teeth.
If you’ve tried everything, then there is an outside chance that you got a defective zipper. If you think this is the case, please print, fill out and include a copy of the attached warranty and repair return form with your CLEAN bag. Use RMA # [today’s date]. If there is a defect, we will repair or replace your Giant Loop product at no charge to you.
Thank you for choosing Giant Loop for your adventures,
Customer, Nate Hurley, Rides and Camps Giant Loop Through John Day On Honda CB500X
Nate Hurley decided to take a weekend motorcycle camping trip in a big loop around John Day; here are the results:
Gear For Your Motorcycle Adventure, Shipped Right Now!
We’re fully stocked with everything you need to make your adventure worry free, safe, comfortable and fun. And if you’re in a hurry, our website offers a range of shipping options.
Klamath Tail Rack Pack (zipperless lid, like a tank bag for the bag of the motorcycle – optional top case for MoJavi Saddlebag), Ochoco Enduro Tail Pack (hardware included for hard mounting to dirt bike fender or tail rack OR straps onto tail rack OR us it as an unmounted camera bag or tool bag that fits a 21″ front inner tube), Fender Bag that actually stays on the front dirt bike fender and holds a spare tube or tools)
Essentials for motorcycle adventure: Bushwackers Hand Gaurds (cold, wet, muddy hand and controls protection), Vinyl Protective Film (prevents scratches and scuffs on painted surfaces and plastics under soft luggage), First Aid Kits, Survival Kits, Carhartt Lost For A Reason Tool Roll, Tracker Packer + SPOT Gen3
Giant Loop Snow: Revelstoke Tunnel Bag (snow bike, snow mobile), Torngat Tunnel Bag (snowmobile), Kootenay Pocket (tool and camera case) – most comprehensive gear package available for snow bikes (Timbersled, MotoTrax)
Great Basin Saddle Bags – They really do fit virtually anything designed to carry a passenger, even scooters
Giant Loop customer Joel, recently took an amazing Italian adventure….on his scooter.
See his account below, and how he’s retrofitted the Giant Loop Great Basin Saddlebags to suit his ride.
We have been on the road for 2 months and 3000 km, with all the clothes for two people stashed in the three dry pods. Although we have not been riding in the rain (much), the bag has seen a lot of rain this spring and so far no leaks when it is properly closed.
The “motorcycle” is a little unconventional: a scooter. This made it a bit difficult to fit the bag on, as the usual exposed parts in a real motorcycle are all covered with plastic on a standard scooter. However, inside of the plastic the frame is not all that different. I had to create a couple of stainless-steel cable loops to extend the passenger foot peg frame inside the plastic so that they could be accessible.
In addition, the standard scooter has a filler cap beneath the seat, so it was pretty important that I be able to get the bag off quickly when we fill up (every 200-250 km or so).
Most scooters have a bit of a plastic frame behind the seat which is used to attach a top box, and on the Honda this is where I was able to hang on the straps for attachment. Overall, it takes me about a minute to loosen them and flop the bag down for gas tank access, which is not bad at all.
Since I had to buy the stainless cable to make the loops, I also used it to make a security cable to hold the bag in place when we are parked. I put a small padlock on the end to keep it in place.
So far, no one has tried to get into it as far as I can tell, or pull it off the scooter. I strapped a Possibles Pouch on the outside to hold a water bottle and my sunglasses case, and it is working great. We have been on the road for 2 months and 3000 km, with all the clothes for two people stashed in the three dry pods. Although we have not been riding in the rain (much), the bag has seen a lot of rain this spring and so far no leaks when it is properly closed.
Thank you Joel!
How have you fit your Giant Loop Gear to your ride of choice? We’d love to hear from you.
Video Overview of Giant Loop’s 2016 Adventure Proof Packing Systems & Gear
Overview video of most of Giant Loop’s entire product line for 2016. Giant Loop Adventure Proof Packing Systems & Gear on display in our vendor stand at the BMW MOA Riders of Oregon’s Chief Joseph Rally last weekend.
Prep for your next adventure today! http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product-categories/
Email from customer: “Hi, love my Coyote Saddlebag mounted on the KTM 500 EXC but the downside to every trip is my stuggle with the zipper. Man I get pissed. Am I missing something? Any way to make it operate easier? Thanks, C”
Dang, sorry to hear your zipper is giving you fits. Some things to try:
* Wash the Saddlebag with warm, soapy water, give it good rinse and let it air dry. Dirt and dust particles are usually the biggest challenges for zippers.
* Lubricate the zippers. There are commercially available zipper lube products, but often a little soap, wax or even lip balm will help.
* When you get into the bag, first roll the storm flap back out of the way, then roll the flap back over the zipper to keep it protected after you close the bag.
* Avoid over packing. When the Saddlebag is not stuff drum tight, the zippers are much easier to manage. Consider using our Possibles Pouches to add external pockets, or a Rogue Dry Bag to expand the Saddlebag – compartmentalizing gear makes it easier to access the things you need during the day of riding and helps prevent the zipper from buckling being tightly stuffed.
If you’ve tried everything, then there is an outside chance that you got a defective zipper. If you think this is the case, please print, fill out and include a copy of the attached warranty and repair return form with your CLEAN bag. Use RMA # [today’s date]. If there is a defect, we will repair or replace the Tank Bag at no charge to you.
Thank you for choosing Giant Loop for your adventures,
Kiwis Keith and Bryan rode 13,000km, coast-to-coast on the Trans Canada Adventure Trail on Yamaha WR250s with Giant Loop’s Great Basin Saddlebags and Dry Bags. Here are some highlights from their adventure (captions by Keith)!
1. Caribou Creek Saskatchewan . Almost as far north as the TCAT gets. Great spot – cabins, gas, food, beer!
2. Chris Rieger and the Kiwis. We have Chris to thank for a world class effort in marking the TCAT in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. Job very well done.
3. Day off at the Nipawin Exhibition. The wagon racing was breathtaking!
4. Bryan and deer – a certain attraction. Our altercations with them continue …
5. Mike on a slippery slope in Saskatchewan . Hard to see the true grade but 5 mm of damp makes the surface like soap.
6. Manitoba Lake – the Cree First Nation. A very warm welcome, Keith telling our story to locals.
7. Keith looking for the trail in long grass. Bloody great moose appeared! (not in pic)
8. Rains a’comin on the prairie.
9. Oops. Road closed.
10. Typical axle deep ‘damp patch’ we had to get through on the Saskatchewan prairie.
1st Annual Giant Loop Garage Sale & Local Customer Appreciation Day! This Saturday, November 21, 10am-4pm at 63025 O. B. Riley Road, Suites 16 + 17, Bend, Oregon 97703.
Production samples, display models, dry bags, saddlebags, tank bags, shirts, jerseys, hats, stuff sacks at bargain bin prices. Gear for motorcycles, snowmobiles, snow bikes, paddlesports, camping, ATVs, UTVs, SXSs – used, refurbished, new-old-stock, dusty display samples.
Giant Loop Garage Sale Bend Oregon
Thanks Rider Magazine for including Giant Loop’s Kiger Tank Bag and Pronghorn Straps in the December issue’s Holiday Gift Guide. We especially appreciate that they were chosen based on Rider editor’s experiences using our gear!:
“Giant Loop, started in 2008 and based in Bend, Oregon, designs and manufactures soft luggage and accessories for dual-sport/adventure riding. Some of GL’s tough, versatile luggage we’ve tested over the years, like its Fandango Tank Bag and horseshoe-shaped Great Basin Saddlebag, remains go-to gear when we head into the backcountry. But you don’t need a bike with knobbies to take advantage of GL’s no-nonsense designs and rugged, mil-spec construction. We used the 9-liter Kiger Tank Bag ($290) on a weeklong, rain-soaked tour of Italy and then strapped it on our Yamaha FJ-09 long-term test bike. We like its zipperless clamshell opening, touchscreen-friendly map pocket and removable waterproof Dry Pod bag. And GL’s Pronghorn Straps, made of super-tough stretch polyurethane with unbreakable fasteners (available in 16-, 20- and 26-inch lengths, two per package, $16-20), are some of the strongest, most versatile straps we’ve used for securing cargo to a bike.”
UPDATE: November 6, 2015
Apologies. Our manufacturing partner temporarily has put production of our fuel bladders on hold. We’re hopeful that we will have a revised design from them in the coming weeks, and that we will have production units ready to ship early in 2016. Thanks for your patience – innovation presents unique challenges.
Giant Loop Fuel Safe Bladders conveniently transport 1 gallon of hydrocarbon fuel for power sports in collapsible welded film containers that weigh less than 1 pound and roll up flat when empty. The MoJavi Fuel Safe Bladder is designed specifically to fit in the side pockets of Giant Loop saddlebags.
With all of the news swirling around the introduction of the new Honda?CRF1000L Africa Twin, the timing is perfect to revisit the story Giant Loop owner/founder Harold Olaf Cecil published in the March/April 2015 issue of Adventure Motorcycle magazine about spending a week on the Honda XRV750 Africa Twin, riding dirt, gravel and twisty paved roads in Norway last June. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD PDF OF “VIKING BIKING – NORWAY ON AN AFRICA TWIN”:ADVMoto Mar 2015 – Norway on an Africa Twin by Giant Loop’s Harold Olaf Cecil
Alberto Lara and Naomi Tweddle (www.motolara.com) added another off-road adventure to their list of travels this past week: an 800-mile giant loop dual sport motorcycle ride through Oregon, beginning and ending at Giant Loop’s shop in Bend. You may have seen Alberto’s photos in our 2015 Adventure Proof Packing Systems catalog or on social media for Moto Lara
For their Oregon giant loop ride, Alberto and Naomi rode their Yamaha WR250 dual sport motorcycles, equipped with Giant Loop’s Great Basin Saddlebag, Fandango Tank Bag, Rogue Dry Bag, Kiger Tank Bag, Possibles Pouch, Pronghorn Straps and Zigzag Handlebar Bag. Photographer Alberto rode with his DSLR camera protect with a neoprene cover inside his Kiger Tank Bag, with the zipperless lid providing quick camera access without getting in his way standing on the footpegs riding eastern Oregon’s rough, rocky double-track dirt roads.
Recently email from customer Tim:
Hello I bought your Great Basin Saddlebag, couldn’t be happier with it.
Do you sell or recommend a quick release system?
I have the bag snug and fitted to my bike. I’d like be able to get under the seat or take the whole bag indoors with me without undoing all the compression straps.
Compression straps aren’t intended for mounting. On the Great Basin Saddlebag and Siskiyou Panniers, the two side anchor straps and 1-3 rear anchor straps should do the trick.
We do not recommend quick-release options for the two side anchor straps, as an unintended release could be dangerous. It takes about two minutes to release the side anchor straps.
On the rear anchor(s), you can use our Pronghorn Straps for a clean quick-release solution:
Local rider Geoff’s Suzuki DRZ400 is about as nicely set up as any we’ve seen, with Trail Tech Voyager GPS, Race Tech Suspension, full Yoshimura Exhaust and aftermarket carb. Here are some details about his MoJavi Saddlebag installation using the new Giant Loop (GL) Mounts, which will work great with the Coyote Saddlebag and Great Basin Saddlebag, too. #golightgofastgofar
Geoff is using the Giant Loop GL Mounts, sharing a bolt point with his Suzuki DRZ400’s passenger peg mounts. GL Mounts help keep straps away from hot exhaust and shorten anchor strap length to maximize stability of Giant Loop Saddlebag installation.
Geoff’s using a small spacer to set the Giant Loop GL Mount away from the passenger peg’s other bolt and to give plenty of room to work when anchoring Giant Loop Saddelbags and soft luggage to dirt bikes and dual sport motorcycles.
Giant Loop’s GL Mounts make a clean installation, with straps kept away from boots on both sides.
Since Geoff leaves the MoJavi Saddlebag mounted on his Suzuki DRZ400 all the time, he’s using a hard-mount bolt-on installation (which can also be done with Giant Loop’s Coyote Saddlebag).
Two bolts through the dirt bike’s rear plastic fender and metal fender brace, a couple of washers and nylock nuts, and the Giant Loop Saddlebag is not coming off. Period.
Geoff secures the zip-off sleeves of his riding jacket to the front fender with Giant Loop’s Rubber Boa Straps.
Two Bend, Oregon-based companies with products on a motorcycle adventure in South America: HydroFlask and Giant Loop!
First look at the CCM GP-450 with Giant Loop’s Great Basin Saddlebag and Diablo Pro Tank Bag at the MC M?ssan in Stockholm, Sweden! Thank you to Explore 360!